Wednesday, February 21, 2018

A New Perspective

I  read this article today. 

http://www.asinglewindow.com/blog/2018/2/19/truth-or-consequences-

It is  well written and mostly true. I have a philosophical difference regarding what's necessary to ward off tyranny. But what's more important I'm disgusted with the notion of an American killing another American should the law of the land require some level of disarmament that doesn't jibe with someone else's philosophy. AR-15s already don't jibe with my philosophy but I'm not starting a blood bath over it. There is an inconsistency in thought here...I can only point it out. I can't make it understood... so here is a new perspective...

Since I've been accused of focusing on the inanimate object of a gun and not on the real issue of violence that is rooted in evil and the moral decay in our society. Which I believe is true in many ways, by the way.

The perspective is this...what is the reason some of us seem to be focused on the inanimate object? Do our gun toting brothers and sisters truly believe our motives are hidden and that, deep deep down inside, we really wish for this Country to be disarmed so that we can overthrow our American way of life? I said this before. Tonight I head out to the movies to take in a viewing of the Black Panther and I happen to be seated next to you. If before you sit down, your jacket swings open to reveal your conceal carry, perhaps a spiffy Glock or possibly a Colt 911, or even better a Ruger Super Black Hawk , I might complement you. I might even feel more secure tonight seated next to you given the sad events of the times. But, if you sit next to me, cradling an AK-47, I wouldn't feel the same way. It's not because the AK-47 is scary. All guns are scary...they better be...they are purpose built that way. It's because the AK-47 doesn't have a place in civilized society.

It's not a weapon of self-protection...and you certainly are not hunting coyotes in the theater. It's not wrong to be philosophically opposed to these guns. You have a right to be philosophically in favor of these guns so to do we to be opposed to them. That's not faulty logic nor is it a conspiracy. Nor am I willing to kill you to take your gun yet the opposite doesn't seem to be true...that you are not willing to kill me should I choose to disarm you. Let me state that again. You are ready to kill me because of my beliefs. I have no desire to kill you because of your beliefs. Let's get back to moral decay. Or at least try to decide who has the moral high ground in that argument... But I digress.

As I work diligently on a compromise, specifically if you are following my blogs, to have a conversation about maximum lethal fire power, not disarmament. That doesn't mean I am against mental health screenings and fixing moral decay. It just means I see something in disproportion to what is necessary in a civil and free society. I disagree with your interpretation of the 2nd Amendment and would like to one day see my interpretation win. It doesn't have to win.

Those of us who believe tighter gun control might take a bite out of the carnage we see more and more everyday would just like to give it a try. Would you be comfortable sitting next to someone in a theater who was holding a bottle of acid, something odd but perfectly legal? Or would you be comfortable sitting in a theater next to someone who was sweating, feverish, coughing and clearly carrying the Ebola virus? Our beliefs are just as valid as your beliefs. It's not a conspiracy...that's just some misplaced paranoia. We are not fixated on an inanimate object. We are fixated on a free and safe society where we can enjoy a movie, a concert, an academic lecture,and our American way of life without having to wonder, ever, if this will be our last time. What kind of life is that?

No comments: